Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Turkana for a Day

So on Saturday, this beautiful Turkana woman named Alice...




Let us do this with her wardrobe...


Most Turkana's don't want their picture taken unless you pay them, so we weren't ever just able to take pictures at random because we didnt want to be disrespectful, but thankfully Alice was kind enough to come and let us take her picture as well as let me wear her full Turkana ensemble... I have to say it wasn't my idea, but Ben and Panina loved it so much when I wore it for the picture they insisted I wear it the whole day, even into the refugee camp...
Which was an interesting experience and fun for a while, but again it was so hot and the shuka was made of what felt like wool, so I was dying after awhile...


How beautiful is this necklace? Its hand made by the womans father and he makes a new strand and presents it to her when she has done something good. They start wearing them from the time they are little girls. The more necklaces a woman has the more valuable she is considered.


All Allison wanted was a picture with the two of them holding Cokes...Cute



Chris gave it a try



We saw these women walking into town everyday with this on their heads...We found out that Turkana women do most of the work in the family. They gather, build, prepare food, fetch water & carry it on their heads, raise the kids, and take care of the house...most of the men just walked around town in their shukas talking to each other...



This is just kind of a random picture I took of Alice at lunch one day, its kind of random to tack onto this blog, but I just love it and thought I would share the enjoyment

2 comments:

Elizabeth Ford said...

I love these pictures. How cool. I love your outfit too. What types of things are considered "good" for them?

Derrek Fikes said...

That's a good look for you. You should consider implementing that into your wardrobe. ;)