Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pictures from today

So while on break from class 8 yesterday I wandered into class 7 to find cute Joseph talking to himself and working out a huge division problem on the blackboard. Sidenote, he was using a huge piece of sidewalk chalk, which was leaving an amazing amount of chalk dust on his pants, sweater, not to mention his hand.
I said "Joseph, do this" and i put my right hand on my cheek. He copied me and went on about his business, not realizing he now had the pile of chalk all over his face...


I love this kid. Outside of class he messes around and can be a bit crazy, but he's incredibly smart


The chain


Then Bram wandered in from break after playing soccer, so he was all sweaty.



Once we got home from our day, I had to pack up more of our room and its safe to say I cried my eyes out from around 4:30 til i went to bed last night. I cant and dont want to imagine my life without seeing these kids everyday. I dont think they know how much we love them and their personalities light up our days.
Allison and I were talking and I was saying how I didnt know if the teachers strike has been a blessing or a curse. On the positive side, we get these kids everyday and teaching them we've gotten to know them in a different way than before, but now I am that much more attached, which will make it harder to say goodbye...
Ive decided Ill take the pain as long as i get to see them everyday...

2 comments:

Mama Oasis said...

Personally, I think it is a huge blessing that you guys are getting this time with the kids.

As one who has had many a painful goodbye in Kitale ...I can say that I totally understand and that they DO know how much you love them. They just don't know how to process their own emotions. Except for Johnstone...who will easily cry right along with you....most of the other boys don't easily express their emotions. It goes against what a "man" is supposed to be in their culture. Also, for some of them (like Moses)...crying brings up some really painful memories. So, when Martin and Joseph walk away from you...it is because they don't want to break down in front of you. And Steward will be just plain mean....he takes his sadness and turns it into anger and tries to put up a wall that will shield him from the pain.

I don't envy you, but I understand. And I promise that although you will cry for a long time after you leave...that eventually your tears will go and you will be left with only sweet memories and lots of love.

I love you too!
Lydia

Derrek Fikes said...

hahaha. I love the pictures of Joseph!

I hope you know that these kids love you. It's evident through the pictures. :)