Monday, October 27, 2008



I haven’t blogged in a couple of days and it feels weird..I wasn’t a blogger before and I honestly didn’t want to have one but being here its fun and its easier than sending a ton of mass emails…Iwas just thinking back on the last couple of days and what I should blog about and the only thing that has been on my mind a ton is the Oasis boys.

Edwin



Jonah



Things have been crazy around here lately. Some have just been acting up in certain ways and not being truthful other times. But even more so 2 of the house boys have run away. For whatever reasons they packed up their clothes and left without telling anyone.. Edwin has been gone for about 3 weeks now and Jonah a little over 1 week…Its just hard to fathom how these boys can just walk away from everything they’ve worked so hard for and been given.




They came from the street, but got an opportunity to learn through Oasis of Hope and then were put into a home and school.
It just shows you never can tell. These boys have been given everything, even by American standards, they are well taken care of, and they still ran…





In the end it's their life and ultimately their decision, but the hard part is, seeing their potential and falling in love with them. You get attached and believe they are more than just street kids. Especially when they have a hard time seeing that in themselves.
I know at some point in the different missions trips Ive taken over the years I know Ive wondered "whats the point?" If they're only going to run away or give up, why try and help?...But I've discovered for the kids that run away, there are so many success stories. Places like Oasis need to be in existence to be the reason the ones who stick with it succeed. Not that these boys are failures, they've chosen to go another direction and I only hope they are ok and I will get to see their faces around Oasis again...

1 comment:

Mama Oasis said...

Ok...you have made me cry.

It has been especially tough being so far away during this time. I have been all over the board with my emotions since Edwin and Jonah left....mad, sad, confused. But, you have expressed it beautifully in this blog...

We have to understand that every single kid probably won't follow through the program until they graduate from University and we are naive if we continue to believe that they will.

Heck, how many teenagers in America (growing up in comfortable, loving homes) make bad choices...running away, drugs, dropping out of school, pregnancy....???

I too am praying that Edwin and Jonah are going to land on their feet and build themselves a good life...but, if I am honest....I have to realize that this probably isn't going to happen. They think that they are men...but, I know them and they are still boys. They have struck out on "the grass is greener on the other side" kind of adventures. Heck, school and studying is tedious and boring sometimes... even for the best students.

But, unlike America (well, the OLD America before our economy imploded) , in Kenya there aren't any jobs at the "mall" or at a fast food chain for a 15 year old boy. Education is the key to having a chance in Kenya....and a primary school education (k-8) is the minimal requirement. Odds are that Edwin and Jonah are walking right back into a life of poverty and dispair...and they don't even know it.

I have had to develop a tough armor to withstand the things that happen with the kids at Oasis from time to time. I have to concentrate on the kids that are doing so well....Martin, Johnstone, Paul, Bram, Centrine, Nancy...and so many more. As Geoffrey always says, "If we can change the life of even one kid for the good, then we have done our job." Of course, I want much more than that...but, the thought helps me put things into perspective.

In the end, God gives us all free will. Edwin and Jonah used theirs and although I will always love them and miss them.....I cannot force them to stay. Let's keep praying for them....for a change of heart that will bring them back soon.

I say soon, because we will hold their spots open in the house for a while....but, then we will offer them to other boys. As you know, there are so many kids who have been waiting and praying for a long time to be offered an opportunity to live in a home, sleep in a bed, have 3 meals a day and most of all...to go to school. It might seem harsh...but, there is a consequence for every action. I am praying that Jonah and Edwin realize what they have given up....and come back changed boys....but, if they don't ....we have to be prepared to move on. I guess it is the Kenyan version of "tough love".

You are getting to see the whole picture, my friend. That is the value of being there for months and months....you are understanding the reality...not just the fantasy. I tell you...this work is not for the faint of heart!

Thank you for all that you are doing. I know that the love that you showed to Jonah and Edwin has made a positive impact on their lives....

Love you...