Thursday, September 18, 2008

Malaria Shmalaria...

How Chris kick starts his day...

Today we went to Oasis instead of Sister Fredas because the electricity company was supposed to turn power back on so we could get some more files and work done, but it didn’t happen.
When we got there we found Jonah and Braumwel hanging out…Well not really hanging out they were sick so they were not in school and going to go to Sister Fredas for medicine…

Since we had no power and there wasn’t much for me to do and I love Sister Fredas, Elia, and the boys, I went with them out to Fredas with 3 other kids who were sick, Rodgers, Teresa, and Joan…

In Freda's waiting room instead of magazines, she has cats to keep you entertained...


Braum...


Elia, you probably can't tell but he's getting fatter...

They were tested for Malaria and Typhoid. All went well except when Joan had to get her finger pricked for her blood test…She freaked out and kept trying to swat the needle out of the nurses hand, which only stabbed her more.

Braum wanted a mirror to see himself, all I hade was my powder compact...Which ended up as war paint all over their face...


Intimidation face...I put the same powder on my face, I guess Ill have to rely on my muscles for intimidation...


Sooo her freak out didn’t work because I held her down and she got it taken anyway, haha! Unfortunately for her, that wasn’t the biggest needle she was going to see today. She ended up with Malaria and had to get the first of 3 shots, which the needles for are ENORMOUS…even the adults that have had it say its pretty painful… We could hear her screams from outside the building, poor girl.

Cute little Teresa was so tough


Me & the little man...

As it turns out they were all sick, either with Malaria or Typhoid, bummer

The nurse passing out the drugs and instructions...
At the end of the day all the kids are fine and will be back to normal in a couple days...I was really happy to get to go with them...

Tomorrow is pool day!!!

4 comments:

Elizabeth Ford said...

Elia is so cute. He is looking so much better. That is amazing. How is the homesickness?

Mama Oasis said...

I can't BELIEVE that Bramwel has Malaria AGAIN!!! I think we need to get new nets for the houses (although Paul refuses to sleep under one) and we need to talk to the dads again about boiling drinking water....the typhoid comes from the water.


Thanks for taking the kids to Freda's.

And YES....I can testify to the enormity of that needle!

By the way...I am STILL coughing so I went to my doctor on Tuesday. He like to call Kenya "the land of all diseases"....so, thanks to the fact that I am blessed with PPO coverage...about 5 vials of blood were taken (I have horrible veins..so they had to poke me TWICE and I have giant bruises on the crooks of both arms....nice...I look like a junkie!) and gave me a chest xray, a breathing test and I gave a pee sample. Still waiting for results.

But, you know...it's ALL worth it just to have been there for 6 weeks!

dianasaur said...

hey daina,

i just wanted to let you know that i love reading your blog so much! i love all of your pictures and what you have to say about them! i must say, elia is the cutest little baby i have ever seen, i don't care that people think he looks like an alien, he is just adorable. keep on caring for him! i love that you have made a lasting connection with a specific little boy, and i admire you. also, i can't wait to meet you when you all return. (if you don't know, which i'm sure you do, i am chris' girlfriend, just to clarify...i'm not just a random person who found this..anyway im trailing off...sorry)

diana

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal